Sapporo, Japan; Sept. 25–30, 2005 — The World Oxidation Catalysis meeting in San Diego, CA in September 1997 was a very successful, both from the scientific content and record attendance. Attendance was much higher than anticipated with on site registration almost double the advance registration, resulting in excess proceeds for this meeting (which were not established until after the meeting was over). The Executive Board of the conference decided to place the excess proceeds in a high interest bearing account (under the sponsorship of the North American Catalysis Society) and to use the funds to partially fund some North American attendees to the next conference in Tokyo, Japan in 2005 (Web site: www.e‑convention.org/5wcoc). We have sufficient funds to grant six-seven travel awards for up to $2,000. each to deserving attendees from North America. Applications for these awards must be received (electronically) by 1 March 2005 and addressed to Leo Manzer, committee chair.
Members of the former Executive Committee [L. E. Manzer (Chair), J. E. Lyons, and A. M. Gaffney] will review the requests and announce the awards by 1 April. Awards will be selected on the strength of the request and the need described in the proposal. Awards are open to any resident of North America.
The requests must meet the following guidelines:
- 1–2 page proposals, maximum
- Indicate awardee and correspondence address, fax, and email address
- Describe individual’s educational and professional background
- Provide reasons for consideration- benefits, importance to individual, etc. (This is the most important section of the request.)
- Any resident of the USA, Canada, or Mexico is eligible for this award. [Proof of residency in one of these countries is required. US residents must provide their tax id number (Social Security number)]
- Funds may only be used for airfare, registration, local transportation, hotels, and/or meals during the meeting.
- Upon return to North America, proof of actual expenses must be submitted along with proof of attendance, in order to be reimbursed for the award.
Please consider if you need a visa to travel to Japan and the time required to secure the visa. Send requests for awards to Leo Manzer at firstname.lastname@example.org