Dr. Mills was a chemist for over 40 years, making major contributions to industrial catalytic processes, particularly hydrocarbon fuels and petrochemicals including DABCO for polyurethanes. He was executive director of the Center for Catalytic Science & Technology at the University of Delaware until 1984; chief of the Coal Division Bureau of Mines; director of the Office of International Cooperation Fossil Energy at the Department of Energy in Washington, DC; and director of research at Houdry Process Corporation (Air Products) in Marcus Hook, PA.
He received the Henry H. Storch Award from the American Chemical Society; the Pioneer Award from the American Institute of Chemists; and the E.V. Murphree Award in chemistry from Exxon Mobil Research. He was elected to the National Academy of Engineering. He was author and
co-author of 143 articles in technical publications and held 60 U.S. patents. Dr. Mills was president of the Catalysis Society of North America from 1969–73. He served as chairman of both, the Fuels Division, ACS and the Petroleum Division,ACS at different times. He was chairman of the Philadelphia Catalysis Club during the organization of the First International Congress on Catalysis (Philadelphia, 1954–56). Finally he and his work were greatly influenced by his close cooperation with Eugene Houdry.
He received a BS and an MS from the University of Saskatchewan and a PhD from Columbia University, where he studied with Nobel Prize winner Harold Urey.
Contributed by Thanks to The News Journal (Delaware)